Friday, 12 July 2013

Maintaining Momentum...

Over the last few days I've started to inwardly mildly panic. I remembered this post from Minimalist Mom and I have done massive purges in the past but lots of stuff still stays or creeps back in. Then today I finally decided I needed to get over myself and clean. I had done lots of purging of things but not actually cleaned as I went. And boy did our apartment need a clean! So this morning I cleaned 1 bathroom quickly (this was with IP in tow, hence speed was of the essence). Then this afternoon whilst IP was at creche I cleaned our other bathroom and hoovered and polished the bedroom.

And guess what? Whilst I was doing that I realised I could get rid of 1 basket and numerous 'bits and bobs' from the bathroom and store the rest in the drawer, making it easier to clean (I had been holding on to a face mask and hair mousse for 'one day' but as I've not used either since we moved here nearly a year ago, I feel it's time to let them go) and then I realised I never use my place mat on my bedside table for actually putting coffee on. I considered getting rid of our bedside lamps but have kept them for now. I then saw IP's 'toys' in the corner. I keep a small selection of bits and bobs for her in our 'room because when she was smaller she used to want something. And then there was a load of stuff that is for outdoors. Well she has outdoors stuff out of doors so I've put it to one side to go to charity (this doesn't properly explain. We're talking old kitchen spoons etc that end up all over our apartment). And they were over 2 boxes - 1 box and a bucket that we keep for the patio. So I've put the few bits in the bucket and the box was going to go but then I discovered a basket in the hall cupboard was broken so it's replaced that... (It's a lovely wooden box compared to a plastic wicker basket that's broken!) So that's cleared up our bedroom floor a bit.

And when I realised what I had done, I had an idea that every time I do some cleaning I'm going to try to purge a few items, maybe 5 but we'll see how that goes. I was also thinking of trying to do 'one in, one out' but again, we'll see. I did read a blog post (but I cannot remember now which blog or any details :() by someone who said they find 1 item a week at least and always take it to goodwill. I don't plan on going weekly to the recycling centre but if we can manage it this person also had a box somewhere to put donations in so I might try to do something like that and then when there's a few items or I'm going near the 'centre I can take it. I'm currently already planning to do a review, sort out and possible purge around May/June and November time. IP's birthday is in June so that would cover pre-summer items and her birthday. And then Munchkin is due in October, my birthday is in November and then there's Christmas in December so sometime around then I hope to do another sort out...

And I don't seem to have mentioned it but a while ago (a long time ago) I did have a blog that I then stopped updating. It's a long story as to why BUT the important thing is that when I was having a mild worry about maintaining momentum that thought had also crossed my mind. Whereas various ideas have since sprung to mind...

For example:
Stealing an idea from my facebook friend I thought I'd start attempting 'Menu Planning Monday'. I actually do my menu planning probably a different day/ whenever is convenient as we tend to do the food shopping at the weekend. But it's possible to write the post before I publish it, so really I have no excuse. Well I do for the next month as I've already sorted my menu's for this month here but going forward I hope to only do about a week in advance...

And then, my same lovely facebook friend also mentioned that there's a thing in Blogging land called 'Silent Sunday' and as this post mentions 'no clutter' I'm thinking I will try to do something similar... I have also discovered on facebook some brilliant blogging friends so I hope we can share with each other in the future! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment