Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Maintenance...

I read this post by Minimalist Mom when she first wrote it and to be honest, didn't think much about it. I also had no intentions of blogging about this but when my laptop keyboard started sticking I figured it was time for some maintenance. So I got the cleaning wipes and compressed air out. Turned my laptop off overnight and decided to clean it this morning (Sunday).

I thought I'd quickly google cleaning laptop keyboards and found these links. There are you tube videos but I prefer just to read instructions...

So I used compressed air. And nothing major happened. So I figured how hard can taking some keyboard keys off be, then clean and put back on, it's just logic right?! 

Uh uh.

DP is now attempting it & just said ' Don't have one of your smart ideas ever again'...

Yeah, sorry about that!

Sooooo. If I go through what I did and then what would have been useful...

I pulled each key off and put it at the top of my keyboard. I then cleaned each key and most importantly the parts underneath with compressed air and screen wipes. Half way though I ran out of space and put the keys on a book...

During the process at some point I took a photo of the keyboard to ensure I didn't forget the order.

The other thing that DP pointed out is I can semi touch type - I learnt most of the keys when I was 10 years old from my mother. I have good eye sight so just took a quick photo on my mobile but the articles suggest you could get a photo of your specific laptop make...

So I hadn't intended to take the battery out but the instructions recommended it and then I found the end of a teaspoon and cotton wool buds were useful...


My supplies from last night, they did at least remind me! :)


The state of the keyboard and screen to start with!


My photo to remember what the keyboard was like... At this point some keys were just sticking a bit...


The state underneath! :/ (I'd already cleaned the top part)


I got frustrated with about 5 keys that refused to slot back so asked DP to help...

DP awesomely managing to fix them when I had long ago given up! This is at 12:20 on a Sunday, when I started probably about 9, maybe earlier! 


He has now established that my caps lock key is damaged and my space bar has no spring. This isn't brilliant but its better than the 5 or so keys not working at all... I wrote most of this on my mobile whilst DP worked on  my laptop so now I have tried to straighten this post out, it's taken ages and is VERY frustrating! :( So I'm going to phone my laptop manufacturer tomorrow when IP is sleeping or if I get really stuck I know the shop I bought it from were very helpful. I don't think it's anything major... I have also just remembered my neighbour works in IT... *Later: I have just been up to my neighbours and it's now working much better. Not perfectly and I have 2 keys that need replacing but for now I think I'll ignore them...

So tips. Here's what I found useful: 
  • Leave a few hours for this. DP 'entertained' IP thankfully but I still had a shower, drank coffee, googled and gave up, asking DP to try. I THINK I started this around 9am...
  • A clear solid space like a table or the floor. Not a rug or in my case, balancing the laptop on my lap, running out of space & transferring to a book on the sofa that your daughter can tip or your husband... (Neither happened but still)
  • Patience. And lots of it! :(
  • Then all the tools mentioned above...

No comments:

Post a Comment