Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Changing my mindset to minimalism...

At the weekend, my mother in law visited. We decided to go to Brussels on Sunday. It was hard but I think I just about vaguely stuck to minimalism. I guess remembering how much stuff I have got rid of and how much I can still get rid of AND most importantly that it has been hard at times, helps. So instead of buying lots of handmade, gorgeous but expensive wooden toys, or purses for other people that they probably wouldn't actually use...

I bought one present for IP. The smaller wooden horse is the present. My mother has a version of the larger wooden horse that I remember seeing throughout my childhood. The tail comes out. Then suddenly one year she gave me the wooden horse in the picture, whose tail also comes out - I do have the tail but with small children around it was safer to put it elsewhere. So when I saw this tiny replica I couldn't resist. IP then dropped it. DP suggested we don't worry about it - I walked back looking for it and found it at the cafe, a few minutes walk. DP definitely isn't worried about saving money, etc! ;)


My mother in law had also prewarned DP that she had presents for IP. I have to be honest, I was a little worried that she may have bought a lot of stuff. Thankfully, she not only hadn't but what she had bought I am happy to add to IP's collection:

The yellow doll's jumper NOT the doll! ;)

It's very unminimalist but I have started a collection of rubber ducks, rather randomly, for IP so the duck fits in perfectly and she doesn't have many dolls clothes yet so to almost certainly be the only little girl in Luxembourg that has an 'I <3 Cornwall' doll's jumper I think we can allow! ;)

 

And then lastly, DP bought himself some beers. The reasoning behind this... It was our wedding anniversary (which has reminded me of another decluttering post! ;)) last week and was meant to be leather. Neither of us wanted anything in leather and I'm not really earning any money so I suggested we don't worry about it... But DP does like ales. I had also read this post on clutter free gifts so I initially suggested that DP could buy himself some ales and the glasses to go with them (he wanted to get them previously but there wasn't any left) but it was actually DP that said he'd only drink that particular ale out of that 'tankard' so he chose not to buy the tankards but did buy these ales (on offer)- I also suggested they could be a present from me if he liked... 

Sooooo as we walked back DP mentioned that he likes me in a minimalist mindset even more because I don't buy lots of random rubbish. I'll be honest, it wasn't easy and I'm sure in years to come I may regret even buying the little horse for IP but I felt pleased with myself for most of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment