Friday, 4 October 2013

Food Friday


Well, again this is about food but not meal planning... But it does include some minimalism :)


My 'helper'^

 

'No photo!'

Going into the oven...

So you may be wondering what this is and how it applies to minimalism? Well, this is my version of Vegan Brownies. I say 'my' version because in DP's words 'it wouldn't be made by Mama Pickle if there wasn't a 'surprise' involved'. I am known for changing random things...

I got talking to a gluten free vegan ages ago when I was out walking with my Dad (I had gone to visit him as a surprise because we hadn't done much for his birthday and I was free so took IP to see him, checking with my mum first) who told me about making things like chocolate brownies with substitutes like black beans and bananas, easily found in my local UK supermarket and was a lot healthier. So when I got home I googled it and made one recipe. I saved a few ideas that I heard and it just made me more open to options. 

When we moved to Luxembourg I couldn't find black beans anywhere, went through a phase of wanting to bake and then quickly realised it wasn't for me. By which point my friend had rather awesomely found a tin of black beans. So I decided this week to use them up and do some baking with IP, having made cakes last week that were lovely to have. 

I would share the recipe but to be honest, part of the joke with DP and I was that I didn't really stick to it: 

  • 1 15 oz. can (~ 1 3/4 cups) black beans, well rinsed and drained - I might have had a bit extra but this did roughly stay the same.
  • 2 large flax eggs (2.5 T flaxseed meal + 6 T water) - I used 1 egg & in the end 1.5 mashed bananas (egg substitute)
  • 3 T coconut oil, melted (or sub other oil of choice) - I used olive oil
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (the higher quality the better)
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • heaping 1/2 cup raw sugar, slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for refined texture - I used normal sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Optional toppings: crush walnuts, pecans or semisweet chocolate chips - because the consistency was runny I then added some chocolate chips...

All of this was fine and worked for us because we're not vegan but obviously it's an issue if you are... I only had 1 egg so that's why I substituted an egg - I googled egg substitute & a page called something like 'Iced Jems' gave about 4-6 things you could use, including half a mashed banana. Of course now I can't find said page (*have since found said blog site but can't find the actual page :()!

So here's the original recipe. And I only realised whilst making it that the website is a minimalist based name! :)

TA DA! ;)

DP had a very busy day today at work so when he finally got home we were definitely ready for him & this week none of us were as enthusiastic about decorating the brownies...

Originally I had planned to make these in white muffin cases that IP would have pre decorated and then give them to the people at her creche but I hadn't got her to decorate the cases and I'm not that confident on my baking skills! ;) Other ideas will follow on that! :)

Oh and that has now used up (that needed using up!):
1 large tin of black beans,
1 can of icing
2 packets of chocolate chips at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment