Saturday, 5 October 2013

Project 333 - a new phase for IP

I've written about starting Project 333 and even more recently about how a new 'phase' occurs on the 1st October. Well when I first decided to implement Project 333 I wasn't sure I could manage it, being pregnant, having a toddler, the list of excuses could continue. Then I decided in June that I was just making excuses and went for it. And not only that, I went for it on my daughter's wardrobe as well!

So far things have worked out really well. I have to admit, I didn't stick rigidly to it for 3 reasons:

1. For me, being pregnant, in a new country, I felt it was too much. I knew at the start I almost certainly wouldn't wear 3 maternity dresses I owned. But I also knew that I might, as I had a wedding and other events. I didn't wear said dresses but as they're maternity I kept them in the wardrobe just in case. And it's probably a wider issue than that: we've lived here for a year now but I hadn't implemented the Project that entire time so it will probably take another year before I know roughly what I'm doing with things - like when the colder seasons start. But I have REALLY appreciated having guidelines and felt it gave me permission to take certain things out of my wardrobe.

2. I didn't reread the 'rules' so just forgot about coats. etc. But I did go through our shoes and coats afterwards and was just sensible.

3. IP is slightly 'obsessive' over her shoes so would notice in an instant if any were missing. I wasn't about to start having a fight with her over that! Toddler, Europe size 21 shoes don't exactly take up a lot of room, if she wants to keep them then that was fine by me and DP...

 And I admit that I haven't implemented things perfectly this time round, either. But, and I hope Courtney would agree, I feel that having the guidelines there are fantastic right now, I have every intention of restricting my clothing more after Munchkin is born and probably IP's...

Also we've been given lots of clothing from a friend for IP and then we'd bought a few items so given that we hadn't actually had to spend a lot, I think we've only gone to maybe 36 items, for a toddler that grows fast, with so much change occurring and in a country I didn't expect to suddenly get cold on 1st September, I figure 3 extra items isn't too bad! ;)

Sooooo, you are probably more interested in what our wardrobes look like, right? Well this is focusing on IP's wardrobe just because mine's a bit crazy right now!

At the end...

What I took out...

 Where it went... ;)

*When I mentioned on facebook in a group that all my daughter's current clothes fit in 1 drawer pretty much of a chest of drawers and that my baby's would too, other members were shocked and didn't understand how I do it. One lady asked how IP doesn't grow out of her clothes and aren't I getting rid of a lot of clothes that she needs? So whilst I have probably already said this, just to explain more whilst we don't know whether Munchkin is a boy or a girl...

As luck would have it, IP is very small and fits into clothes for 1 year olds, despite being 2.5 yo! So I dug out last years coats and snow suits and they fit her for now. We do need to buy her a new coat but when we went to buy it, she had a total hissy fit and refused to try any of them on and as we were likely to be spending a lot of money on a coat that would probably be too big initially, we decided to wait... 

Also, because I don't know what gender/sex Munchkin is (though we do have a fairly good idea) I have kept most of IP's old clothes. So for simplicity, at the moment all her clothes just go in this 1 sack. If Munchkin is a boy then when he's born one of my first jobs is to go through this sack of clothing and take out all the girly clothes. I have already started but it's become a bit of a mish mash now. Then I'll divide the remaining clothes up into sizes. Under the bed at the moment is their 'momento' suitcase & cloth nappies for when Munchkin's big enough. Oh and a box of shoes, tights, etc. So we'll vaccuum pack this bag and probably sort a few others and they'll stay under the bed. 


Wardrobe space. Our friend is having a Halloween party so the 2 hangers on the left are outfits for that and will be packed away/ donated afterwards...

I think this was another photo...

 Clothes from the washing line! ;)

  • 2 jeans - I think she may even have more now because our friend I think gave us some and we may have bought her some...
  • 3 trousers
  • 3-4 long sleeve tops (I may get rid of one of these, hence the 3-4)
  • 3 short sleeve tops
  • 4 cardi/jumpers
  • 7 dresses
  • 3 shirts
  • 2 snowsuits - 1 is fleece, 1 is waterproof material but they're from last year and DP insists they're good to keep, so...
  • 2 coats - 1 is definitely too small but she has refused to try new coats on as yet so we're going with it for now (a post on my minimalist daughter is coming up, lol!)
  • And as mentioned before, I think right now she has 2 pairs of welly boots but only 1 will definitely continue to fit,
  • 4 pairs of shoes but again, we'll see how we do on them fitting... And 2 of them were 'hand me down's' from her friend... 
Oh and 1 pair of the shoes, ever since I met DP 10 years ago, he has been talking about getting his future offspring a pair of mini trainers (I am not joking, literally our 3rd 'date' we ended up looking in a sports shop & he was the one to say first 'oh isn't that mini pair of trainers cool? When I have kids I'll get them those.' I think I was the one who actually said 'but we're not having kids yet, eh?' to reassure us both!). Then he saw a pair of black Puma trainers in the local supermarket & the week after needed a pair of black shoes/trainers for himself and they had matching. So he ummed and ahhed and I told him to buy them. It's not minimalism & I'm sure I'd be told off by some people but he doesn't buy himself stuff very often, is still feeling guilty a week later so I told him and feel that it's acceptable. And IP LOVES them! ;) 




= 36 items of clothing + hair 'bobbles' & clips!
For those of you that are wondering! So yes, we're currently 3 items over & probably more now but I will worry about it more when Munchkin is born... I think for a 2 year old girl, this isn't bad!

I am also considering making a tick box list for future use. I'd be interested to know what others think and if they'd find it useful? I'm not entirely sure how it would look or work but I have had to take a camera, pen and paper with me each time and now have the guidelines printed out so I was thinking if I had 1 sheet with it all on and space for me to write, that might make life easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment