Thursday, 28 November 2013

Phew... I hope?!

This isn't going to be long but just in case you don't follow the page on facebook I thought I'd better do a speedy update...

So it seems 'daughter number 2' isn't going to be any simpler or easier than 'daughter no 1'. I have A LOT of catching up and updating to do on here, I have been making notes as I think of things, so I hopefully won't forget anything. But here's a brief explanation:

'D#2' was 7 weeks old last Sunday... 

We spent a week in hospital being verbally abused by a pediatrician and struggling with her weight loss and me breastfeeding...
I managed to get us discharged by spending a night breastfeeding her every 2 hours, followed by 30 minutes double expressing breast milk and whilst I did that a nurse syringe fed her... She gained 50g overnight and they finallyyyy let us go on the Saturday (that was the Thursday night, the Friday night I had to do it myself! :/)
I then tried to continue breastfeeding for the next 2 weeks but she just wasn't gaining weight/ was losing weight at the weekend so I ended up supplementing with formula and 'combination feeding'...
So anyone who tells me breastfeeding a small baby is easy and don't bother clock watching/ worrying about positions/ worrying about if they're feeding ALL the time, please don't. I feel very strongly that how an individual feeds their baby is THEIR choice and there's a huge number of reasons often for someone making those choices!

Sooo that takes us up to about week 3: 
I think that was when I was still trying to decide whether to really attempt to breast feed solely, so I still felt VERY hormonal and emotional. I was trying to express breast milk - using advice from this site which I have had recommended and was utterly brilliant for anyone who's wondering (Kellymom.com).

Thennn I think it was the end of that week, IP got a nasty cold, DP got a nasty cough and I can't actually pinpoint when 'D#2' got said cold but at some point she did...
The week after I was trying desperately just to keep on top of things...
I *think* it was around that point that I firstly spent the day in hospital with severe stomach cramps, so DP, IP & 'D#2' just had to wait all day which was horrendous. The hospital, however, were fantastic. I won't go into great detail about why I was ill and my experience but it's resolved now (& the pain was on par with giving birth, incidentally). I came home that night and my parents happened to be visiting that weekend so we are very thankful because they were able to really look after us - my Dad bulk cooked, my Mum bottle fed 'D#2' & they all kept sending me and DP to bed to rest and entertained IP...

The week after I think D#2 just wasn't happy and I gave up breast feeding and put her on Transit formula - to help with constipation. (just remembered I also caught the cold around this point! :/) She was screaming whenever she needed a bottle so we thought had bad colic... By Sunday night we came to the conclusion that the Transit formula hadn't helped, she was due to see the Pediatrician on the Tuesday so we went back to 'normal' formula... 

And my goodness I noticed the difference then! She was really high pitched painfully screaming... Now people say do not google, and I did speak to a friend but she recommended a particular page and my instinct on googling was right, despite as DP said, the symptoms are normal 'living' symptoms:
D#2 has silent reflux... 
Then in the day between diagnosing she had silent reflux and her pediatrician appointment, I started to wonder if it was actually a cow's milk protein allergy

So we've had probably a week or so of the high pitched awful screaming - it's definitely very early considering I've read of babies having it for months. At the moment she is sort of comfort eating but also in a lot of pain when she eats. And she'll sleep for 5 hours but only sat upright on one of 'us'. I am absolutely exhausted as listening to a screaming baby in pain is not nice, only sleeping if I'm lucky for up to 5 hours and all the other stuff of course (keeping a house going and dealing with a toddler + other stuff...) 

I took D#2 to her pediatrician who instantly dismissed any thoughts of cow's milk protein allergy but prescribed for silent reflux. Today I took her to another pediatrician who has listened. So we are now playing 'the waiting game'... 

No comments:

Post a Comment