Monday, 6 January 2014

DIY Toy box labels & other finishing touches.

Now if you have any ounce of 'craft' about you, you do not need to read this. To me it is quite simple and easy to do. It's the extras that aren't (simple & easy) and I haven't had time to do those yet. But just in case, as I am often told, I am doing a disservice to myself in assuming these things are easy, I decided this evening to quickly tick an item off my list & I may as well do a quick round up:

I first saw the idea here. Agesssss ago I searched for how to make a toy box label or something along those lines and found The Cottage Mama and that was the first time I read a blog I was actually interested in! :)

Just to clarify, I also got a tip via Baby Sensory (Jane who runs the Newbury class is awesome by the way!) that, buying cheap laminating sheets from somewhere like a £ land store and then you put the item into the sheet, you lay a tea towel over it & then iron it, does the same job as an expensive laminating machine...

I have since made the most basic labels - pictures stuck on with sticky back plastic onto the plastic toy bins This evening I am just printing some more labels... I need to sit down and decide later exactly what I'm doing and how much effort I plan to put into the labels in future because they change fairly often (this is often the case - that I 'plan' to do stuff *sigh*). For now...

First up is a 'dressing up' box label:

I google 'imaged' Doc McStuffins dress up & printed a picture of the dress up set that IP has been given. Then wrote 'dress up' in a word document, outlined in dark purple because IP's room colours are dark purple with a hint of brown, for 'The Gruffalo' & now also Doc McStuffins...
http://www.toyworld.co.nz/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/1024x768/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/o/doc-mcstuffins-dress-up-_8-86144-90126-3-90125.jpg

I then added an 'arts and crafts' box to keep her crayons & colouring books, etc in...
http://www.happinessishomemade.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Art_Supplies_13.jpg
I have made the words much smaller & cut them small enough to go in the middle of the heart.

Puzzle pieces for 'games' in general...
http://www.supportblueridge.org/pros/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/puzzle-pieces.jpg
And again, the word 'games' is small enough to fit in the centre.

And yes, you  may notice from the pictures below that I have gone the whole hog and used recycled paper!

Trains also inspired me that if I can get some solid wood or similar, I will show my husband that girls can do anything boys can do - aka make a train 'table'! But that's for another day...

Some items don't need a whole new label, just new wording to match the rest:


And I also printed photo's and words for their drawers whilst I thought about it:

Which reminded me to add ribbon to the hangers I bought ages ago:

ALL DONE!

Toy boxes:

Chest of drawers:
(Excuse my rubbish photo, I was trying to get it done quickly before IP came back into her room)

At the moment we have a mini grand piano in the living room, a box of baby toys & various bits dotted around for ZC, IP's wishbone bike, a play kitchen & then each week a box - currently she wants to play with her 'dress up' stuff - featuring Doc McStuffins (that I plan to make a doctor's kit to add bits to it) & a ladybird dress, received for Christmas. Kitchen 'accessories' are currently 'on holiday' because otherwise she gets distracted but also they end up all over the place. I have also had a sort out of all the stuff she didn't play with...

And last but not least, this January I have 'properly' implemented a '1 in, 1 out' policy on all their toys. So a few bits of dressing up clothes have come out the box, some train track set & some dolls bits recently. I probably could have taken more out but with the busy-ness of Christmas, New Year & visitors, I need to give myself a bit of a break...

No comments:

Post a Comment